Did you know that electrical failures and malfunctions are the second leading cause of home fires in the U.S., causing over 850 injuries, 310 deaths, and over $870 million in property damage? The risk of an electrical fire, shock, and electrocution from a faulty outlet is real and shouldn’t be ignored. It’s time to get better about electrical outlet safety. The professionals at Raynor Services highlight three ways to protect yourself, your family, and your home from the dangers of old or malfunctioning electrical outlets.
Electrical Outlets Dangers and How to Fix Them
Do you have outlets in your home that aren’t working? Electrical outlets can fail and could be a hazard to you and your family. Delaying replacement, using them incorrectly, or ignoring the problem often leads to unintended and severe consequences. Protect your home and your family by recognizing these warning signs and preventing the electrical outlet dangers that can follow. Below we share the tell-tale signs of a faulty electrical outlet and what you can do to increase your safety.
Old or Outdated Outlets
If you have an older home, you likely still have the standard two-prong electrical outlets, and it’s time to make a change. Update your old outlets to three-prong or Ground-Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFCI) outlets. These outlets are designed with safety in mind and can protect you from electrical shock. Until you’ve made the switch, wiring can split, fixtures can become loose, and your outlets can spark. Modern outlets monitor electricity that flows through a circuit and will promptly cut power if the outlet comes in contact with water or another hazard.
Not Overloading a Unit
Have you ever powered up your microwave, started to vacuum, or switched on the lights only to find the power shut off? You’ve hit the max load for your circuit and are using more electricity than your home has. Modern outlets have a 15 or 20-amp limit, and older outlets are even less. When you plug things in or power on devices that are more than the circuit can handle, it will fail, spark, and post a significant fire hazard. To avoid an overload:
- Plug primary appliances into their own wall outlet
- Don’t power on too many things at once.
- Use energy-efficient light bulbs.
- Ask an electrician to install more outlets in your home.
Checking Chords and Covers Regularly
The next time you go to plug something in, check out the outlet and chords. If you notice black or brown marks around your electrical outlet or smell burning, that’s a sign of a burnt outlet. Check the chords for signs of fraying; open or damaged wires should be replaced immediately. If you notice your outlet is hot, burnt, or buzzing, you’ll want to call an electrician.
Electrical Safety Services Near Me
Whether you have an older home or want to protect your children, one of the things you can do is switch out your electrical outlets. By following these practical and easy steps, you can help protect your home and its inhabitants from being shocked or electrocuted. If you’re looking for electrical safety services near me, call Raynor Services at 609-454-6655 if you want more information regarding how to make your home safer or to set up an appointment for a switch, outlet, or dimmer service.